Dr Eugene Buffa
Small Animal Specialists Surgeon
Eugene is an Australian Registered Specialist Small Animal Surgeon.
He recently moved from the Small Animal Specialist Hospital (SASH) in Sydney where he practiced as a Specialist Surgeon for 3 years. Prior to that he was head of Small Animal Clinical Services at the University of Sydney’s Veterinary Faculty in Camden, NSW. Eugene owned and ran a large specialist referral centre in South Africa for 15 years before immigrating to Australia in 2006.
Eugene qualified as a vet from the University of Pretoria in South Africa in 1985. He spent 5 years in general practice in England and South Africa before returning to the University of Pretoria where he completed a surgical residency and qualified as a specialist surgeon in 1995. He has published internationally and has presented at numerous congresses.
He researched wound healing as part of a Masters degree and was a pioneer of canine hip replacement surgery in Africa. He is one of the original patented TPLO surgeons for canine cruciate ligament rupture repair. He was involved with VetMed, a satellite TV channel providing continuing education to vets throughout Africa.
Eugene is an experienced and passionate surgeon who is committed to providing your pet with the best possible care.
Eugene consults at Sydney Veterinary Emergency & Specialists on Thursdays and alternate Mondays.
The following is a list of some of the procedures Eugene commonly performs:
- Extra capsular repair for cranial cruciate ligament rupture
- Tibial Plateau levelling osteotomy (TPLO) and Tibial Tubercle Advancement (TTA) for Cranial Cruciate ligament disease
- Patella luxation correction surgery
- Coxofemoral luxation repair
- Juvenile pubic symphysiodesis (JPS)
- Double or Triple Pelvic osteotomy for hip dysplasia
- Femoral head and neck excisional arthroplasty
- Bone fracture repairs – Pins and wire, DCP and Locking plate repair, external fixators.
- Mal-unions, non-unions and angular deformities
- Tendon and ligament repairs
- Soft palate, nares and laryngeal saccule surgery
- Arytenoid lateralization (Laryngeal tiebacks)
- Ear canal surgery – Vertical canal excision, Bulla osteotomy and Total ear canal ablation with lateral Bulla osteotomy.
- Exploratory laparotomy
- Gastric torsion/volvulus surgery
- Preventative gastropexy
- Colectomy in cats and dogs
- Ureteral transposition
- Urinary incontinence surgery – Colposuspension and sling urethroplasty
- Perineal and scrotal urethrostomy
- Perineal hernia repair
- Anal sacculectomy
- Mandibulectomy and Maxillectomy
- Oncological resections and reconstructions including skin flaps
- CSF taps, bone marrow aspirates and joint taps
- Epidural steroid injections for Lumbo-sacral disease
- Occult lameness examinations